[next] [previous] [content]

Nils N Nesheim's story: The crash at Kvitanosi 27-12-1942 written down as I remember it:

27/12: The traditional Christmas celebration in the School of Ekse. A continuing sound of an aero plane. 1 hour - maybe 2. It sounds like circling over the area. Suddenly the sound was gone. We wandered maybe a little what this could have been, but soon forgot it.

31/12: Olav Gullbraa, the responsible at Evanger PowerStation, was on his way home to the farm Gullbraa in the valley of Eksingedalen to celebrate the New Years Eve with his family. He was skiing the short trail over the mountain Oevrafjellet. Passing Nils Ekse's hut in the mountain pasture Eksestoelen, he saw some footprints in the snow. A German solider was coming out of the hut with a pistol in his hand.

1/1-1943: People from the farms Ekse and Gullbraa are searching in the mountains for one more German survivor from the crash. He was found in a hut in the mountain pasture Torvedalen. He was transported down to Ekse by partly carrying him, partly pulling him on a parachute he had brought from the plane. On the traditional New Years celebration on the farm Brakestad the news was spread among the locals.

3/1 (Sunday): Norvald, Gunnar and I where on our way to the mountain of Kvitanosi skiing. In Dyratoni we found wreck parts. We had to turn back home because of bad weather, skiing the shortest trail down Kvitestakken to Brakestad. Just after Brakestad, in Brakestadlia, we met a German patrol led by the Norwegian police sergeant for the area Albert Sortevik. They where heading for Ekse where the survivors stayed. Coming to Nesheim we found Nils N Nesheim's house "occupied" by 10-12 German soldiers. They had a young man from the farm Brekkhus in the valley of Teigdalen as a guide.

4/1. Gunnar and I where ordered, together with one German soldier, to go to Brekkhus for different equipment and supplies. Two locals from Brekkhus had to follow us on the way back to carry all the equipment. Stayed overnight at Nesheim.

5/1: To Gullbraa with the supplies. There was waiting an order to continue to the mountain of Kvitanosi. Arriving the plain, the Germans with help from some locals where working trying to get the dead out of the wreck. It was a difficult job, and the only tools they had available were some axes and crowbars. At last we get the dead out of the wreck and placed them on tow sledges, two on each. On the way down to Gullbraa we had to walk on our foots pulling the sledges with the dead. Four Germans and four Norwegians on each sledge. Marching one hour, then resting in ten minutes, continuing this way we arrived Gullbraa late in the evening. Stayed overnight at Gullbraa.

6/1: Up again to Kvitanosi to bring down different equipment from the plane. Lars Ekse and Andreas Trefall with a horse and a sledge each brought the dead Germans down to Nesheim, where the bodies were placed at Smiemyra just covered with some snow, and guarded by German soldiers overnight.

7/1: David Gullbraa and Andreas Trefall arrived again to Nesheim with horses and sledges full of equipment from the plane. Norvald and I was ordered to transport the dead further down the valley to Flatekval. Two horses with sledges, two bodies on each sledge. The Germans stayed overnight at Dalastova at Flatekval, the dead were placed in the shed. On this point my mission on the plane-crash at Kvitanosi was fulfilled.

8/1: The road in the valley of Eksingedalen was not cleared from snow during the war, so the transport of the dead continued with horses and sledges. Friday was "The Boat Day", and the boat from the city of Bergen sailed as log as it could before the ice in the fjord prevent further passing. It was told that the dead were winched and dropped on-board into the boat. The boat that day was either "DS Jonas Jeasper" or "DS Hamre".

[next] [previous] [content]

Copyright © kaare@trefall.com 2004-2023 (pgp)
Last updated 17th of April 2023


other places

the pasture
other pastures


Glitregata 4